Yoga Therapy as a Catalyst for Empowering Life Change
The Phoenix Rising Method™ expertly blends the best of yoga, mindfulness, and talk therapy for a totally unique approach.
In Phoenix Rising Essentials (Level 1), you will learn to skillfully guide others to align the wisdom of their body and mind in an individualized direct experience. Discover how to be a catalyst for powerful change through this research-backed, body-centered approach to clear insight and life-changing action.
This course is both didactic and experiential. It will include presentations, group discussion, guided experiences, and an elementary application of the practice.
During this course, you will:
- Gain an understanding of the Phoenix Rising Method™ and its paradigm of life change based on the intersection of Yoga, Buddhism, Psychology and Neuroscience.
- Deepen your professional skills. Designed for yoga therapists, yoga teachers, mental health professionals, and anyone interested in guiding people into the deeper aspects of self through the body.
- Learn the distinctions between engaging present centered awareness and narrative referencing.
Explore the use of safe touch, the edge, presence, progression toward direct experience, and meaningful body-mind integration for life action.
- PHOENIX RISING ESSENTIALS
- Teacher – Michael Lee, MA – MA Dip.Soc.Sci, C-IAYT
- Teacher’s assistant – Genya Klaiman
- 6 months of consistent yoga practice
Required Texts/Reading Materials:
- Lee, Michael, 1997. Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapy – Bridge from Body to Soul, Health Communications, Deerfield Beach, FL
- Lee, Michael 2004. Turn Stress Into Bliss – Fairwinds Press, Gloucester, MA
Recommended Texts/Reading Materials:
- Lee, Michael 1999. “Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapy” in Beyond Talk Therapy: Using Movement and Expressive Techniques in Clinical Practice, Wiener, D.J., (Ed.), APA Books
- Easwaran, Eknath 2007. The Dhammapada, Nilgiri Press, Tomales, CA
- Easwaran, Eknath 2007, The Bhagavad Gita, Nilgiri Press, Tomales, CA
- Rogers, C.R. 1961, On Becoming a Person: A Psychotherapists View of Therapy, New York, NY Houghton Mifflin.
By the end of this course students will have acquired:
- An experiential and cognitive understanding of the basic principles underlying the practice of the Phoenix Rising Method, as applied to Yoga Therapy, Yoga Classes, Group Facilitation, and Life Mentoring.
- A basic level of skills in working with clients and students in the context of a yoga therapy sessions and classes including:
- A basic intellectual and experiential understanding of the mind-body connection in yoga therapy sessions and classes including:
- Basic awareness of client/therapist boundaries and use of appropriate touch in yoga therapy sessions and classes.
By the end of this course, students will demonstrate basic competency in the skills taught including an understanding of and application of techniques taught and appropriate safety considerations. Faculty members will use a checklist of basic skills and knowledge covered in the module as a guide to endorsement of competency.
November 7th – November 10th 2019
$825 + HST
The credits for this course may be applied to competencies in IAYT for an accredited program, IAYT CEs for C-IAYT’s, Yoga Alliance CEUs, and Yoga Alliance Category credits in a 300hr bridge program. This course is also beneficial for Mental Health Professionals who would like to bring embodied presence techniques to their practice.